Thursday, January 30, 2014

Week 4: Recursion


This week we did more examples of recursion, along with an explanation of the first assignment. I now fully understand what the assignment is about and what we are expected to do, and I started writing the code for it this week. This is definitely an interesting example and I like how the included GUI is very interactive. I think the console based version would not be user-friendly. I also like how the GNU General Public Licence is included in the starter code. I also finished the second exercise, which I did not find overly difficult, and now I'm comfortable with using exceptions.

The examples we did in class (nested depth and drawing with a turtle) strengthened my confidence in understanding recursion. Tracing the code also helped me, and made me realize that everyone has an intuitive understanding of how recursion works; personally I just find the application of it into computer science the difficult part. The turtle drawing example was very interesting, and showed the connection recursion has with art. This made me think of M.C. Escher's recursive and mathematical paintings.

I think if I start writing recursive functions in exercises and assignments I'll fully understand this concept. However, after numerous examples done in class I feel fairly comfortable with the material.

http://www.merretts.info/fullsize/escher/escher_hands.png 
Drawing Hands by M. C. Escher, 1948, Lithograph.
(http://www.merretts.info/fullsize/escher/escher_hands.png)

No comments:

Post a Comment